Santa Barbara Car Accident Attorney
Car Accidents in California
The state of California has an unfortunate reputation has the most dangerous state for drivers. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2019 alone more than 3,600 people were killed in traffic accidents in the state. In fact, for individuals under the age of 34, car accidents are listed as the leading cause of accidental death in California.
Injured in an accident?
Contact our Santa Barbara auto accident lawyers today to schedule a free consultation.
What Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents in California?
Of all car accidents in 2009, approximately 30 percent involved a driver who was under the influence of alcohol. Other common contributing factors include:
- Driver fatigue/falling asleep behind the wheel
- Distracted driving
- Using a cell phone while driving
- Failure to heed the rules of the road
Texting While Driving
California was among the first states to make it illegal to text or talk on the phone while driving. It is very important that everyone abides by the rules of the road including speed limit signs and stop lights because when they don't, it puts other drivers in danger. If you or someone close to you was hurt or killed by a negligent or unsafe driver, he or she might be liable for your injuries and any damage you suffered.
What Compensation Can You Recover in a Car Accident Claim?
If you were hurt in a car accident in which another driver was at fault or partially at fault, you could be entitled to compensation for both economic and non-economic losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning capacity
How Do I Maximize My Car Accident Settlement?
There are several steps you can take to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation for your injuries following your accident:
- Be patient, don't jump on the first settlement that the insurance company offers
- Hire a lawyer to represent you and go head-to-head with the insurance company
- Carefully document all injuries and medical treatment you receive
- Have your lawyer help determine the full value of your claim, including future damages
- File your case as quickly as possible, do not wait
- Avoid posting to social media
- Put your best foot forward at trial; be honest, speak confidently and clearly
10 Steps to Take After a Car Accident
- Report the accident to police or highway patrol and have them fill out a report
- Get immediate medical attention, even if you feel fine
- Gather contact information, driver's license number and license plate number from the other driver involved
- Get the contact information for any witnesses of the accident
- Take photos or videos of the scene, your injuries, and any property damage
- Contact an attorney if you believe the accident was not your fault
- Be careful what you say to insurance companies that call; do not admit fault or say you were uninjured
- Keep a journal of your injuries, your healing process and any medical treatment you receive
- Request a copy of the police report to ensure that the report is accurate and there are no errors
- Speak with an attorney at The Schurmer Firm about the details of your case to find out how we can help
How A Car Accident Attorney in Santa Barbara Can Help
We deal with car accident cases on a daily basis, and we have seen the hurt and hardships that it can bring upon a family. Our firm is here to offer you support and exceptional legal advocacy during your time of need. Let us be your legal crutch during this difficult time so that you can focus on a swift recovery and get back to living your life.
Our experienced car accident lawyers in Santa Barbara are proven trial attorneys with years of experience under their belts. Our firm was originally founded back in 1968, and since then we have been standing up for the rights of car accident victims and their families. Our accident lawyers have successfully recovered millions of dollars for the injured, and we can help determine if you are eligible for compensation. Let us handle the insurance companies on your behalf.
Committed Advocacy for Santa Barbara Accident Victims
At The Schurmer Firm, we are serious about providing effective advocacy for injury victims and their families. Talk to a Santa Barbara personal injury attorney from our firm about your case today.
Call The Schurmer Firm today to speak to a Santa Barbara car accident lawyer in a free case evaluation.
He is a very good attorney!- Brett H.
I want to thank all the staff at this firm!- Sergio B.
They take the time to understand your case and really care.- Dan A.
Trustworthy, hard-working and incredibly intelligent!- Eunice C.
They made me feel like my case was their number one priority.- Scott C.
$3 Million Car Accident
A wrongful death settlement for the young daughter of a woman who was tragically killed as a result of a motor vehicle accident.
$3 Million Wrongful Death
Settlement for the wife and children of a man who died when the defendant ran a red light and struck the driver’s side door.
$1 Million Verdict
A man who was killed when struck by a train at an unmarked railroad crossing.
$850,000 $850,000 Settlement
Settlement for the wrongful death of a 14-year-old girl who died when she was stuck after an electric gate automatically closed wedging her between the gate and the pillar of the gate.
$725,000 Flash Fire that Eruption
Settlement against a homeowner and plumbing contractor when a father was killed due to a flash fire that erupted from the defendant’s gas water heater.